'I'm not afraid to die,' says man who will jump off Mount Everest in his wing-suit

The star of the National Geographic television show "Adventure Wanted" learned the effect the thin air at that height would have on his summit jump.
"I thought I would fall out of the sky a little bit," he said. "In fact what I did was fly faster and further than I could have in that thicker air (at lower altitudes)."


When he flies in May, he expects to reach speeds of 150 mph during the 10,000-foot dive to base camp.
Wingsuit flier dies after cliff crash horror
"I never saw myself as a very gifted athlete," said Ogwyn, who was raised in Louisiana. "I do have a very high threshold for pain and suffering at very high altitudes."
He said it's important to win the mental battle. What's in your head and heart are more important than what's in your arms or legs, he said.
The Discovery Channel, which televised Nik Wallenda's tight rope walk over the Grand Canyon last year and Felix Baumgartner's jump from the edge of space in 2012, has said it will show Ogwyn's jump live, though no firm date has been set.
Ogwyn said he will reach the summit then change into his suit and put on his helmet.
He'll take three or four steps.

Advertising

Popular Posts